Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Success!


It is Halle's 5th Birthday today. It is crazy to think that I had her five years ago! Shortly after she was born she started sucking her thumb just like her sister Jaicee did. Jaicee finally did quit sucking her thumb just before she turned four because she wanted her ears pierced. She quit cold turkey for two months...it was so easy!

Not so with Halle! This girl literally sucked her thumb most of the day unless she was occupied. I have tried for the last year and a half to offer everything from getting her ears pierced, new clothes, shoes, money, toys...you name it I offered it. She did want to get her ears pierced, but every time she tried to stop sucking her thumb for a day, she would end up saying "Mom, I don't really want my ears pierced" - and then immediately stick her thumb in her mouth. I even went as far as telling her how ugly her teeth would be if she didn't stop and that her thumb and thumb nail would be big and flat. NOTHING WORKED....until.....

Her Dad decided to intervene. He sat down a month ago and had a heart to heart with his little girl. He explained that if she would stop sucking her thumb for 21 days he would take her to get her ears pierced, out to dinner, and shopping for clothes and shoes. She thought that was a great idea....and stopped sucking her thumb that day!!
WHAT????????
I have tried every one of those bribes to no avail. She always has responded better to her Dad - and this is even more proof!

So, last night was the BIG NIGHT! She was so excited to get her ears pierced. And, of course we all had to come along to witness. Jaicee warned her it would hurt a little, but Halle didn't care and was ready!

This is the before picture....notice the kids behind cheering her on! (But they didn't want to hear her scream so they waited outside).


And, here is the after!

Yes, she screamed! And to make matters worse they didn't have two workers there, so we had to do them separately. I had to pretty much hold her down for the second one! She didn't even want to look in the mirror after to see her new earrings....she was so sad! It took her about an hour to get over it, and then she loved them. However, I don't think I could ever get her to do it again! I felt like the worst mother holding her down crying to get the second ear pierced. I am sure the onlookers in the mall were thinking, "Look at that crazy mother that is forcing her little girl to get her ears pierced!" I wanted to exclaim to everyone, "It was her choice, and I can't let her only have one ear pierced!"

Here is the "happy proof". Ears pierced, and no more sucking her thumb!

I was proud of her bravery, and love my little Halle so much. I will post later today about her birthday!

7 comments:

Jennie said...

Wow, congrats for both of you. The pictures are priceless. I love them.

Lisa Cannon said...

The before and after pictures are hilarious!! Way to go for not sucking her thumb anymore! My kids love binkies and I'm so glad they didn't love their thumbs.

Shaundee said...

Hooray for Halle. Bad Aunt Shaundee...I talked to you 2 times today and to Halle as well and I forgot to wish her happy birthday! Tell her how much I love her and how brave she was. I will try and be a better Aunt tomorrow! Nice documentation!

♥Shally said...

Good for her!

Jessica June said...

Halle is too cute! Seriously, you are in trouble with that girl! Love the earings and LOVE the sad picture even more- you mean mom!?!! ha ha- Happy birthday hall! Love you!

Chelsea said...

congrats halle!!! I love the Kason love story. Beware, your kids are way too cute, you're going to have a lot of those conversations! I love it!!
ps: you look so good! I love your belly...so fun to be prego with your sisters!

Becky Workman said...

love it, I'm totally laughing, those pix explained it all, too cute w/the gang cheering her on in the background, the pouty face after...then happy after...love it. Too bad they didn't have two workers, would have been much simpler! Who needs simplicity though....